Africa and South Africa are actively seeking International Gas Developers, Regulators, Utilities, Private Investors, EPCs and Financiers, interested to invest and participate in the development of the Gas Economy.
The Africa Gas Forum will focus on developing, understanding and exploring the Gas Economy in Africa and South Africa. The programme will comprise keynote addresses and panel discussions to unpack and engage with key industry players to explore the market opportunity.
South Africa has developed a Gas to Power Programme. In 2012, the South African Energy Minister directed in her Determinations that new generation capacity should be procured from hydro, coal and gas sources to support the South Africa’s base load energy mix and generation from gas and cogeneration as part of the medium-term risk mitigation project programme. The Determinations require that 3126MW of baseload and/or mid-merit energy generation capacity is needed from gas-fired power generation to contribute towards energy security. The gas required for such power generation will be from both imported and domestic gas resources. As the basis of supporting the objectives of the Integrated Energy Plan the Department is, at present, finalising a GUMP for South Africa. The GUMP is a roadmap for the development of a gas economy. It analyses the potential and opportunity for the development of South Africa’s gas economy and sets out a plan of how this could be achieved. One of the key objectives of the GUMP is to enable the development of indigenous gas resources and to create the opportunity to stimulate the introduction of a portfolio of gas supply options.
The Gas to Power Programme will expand to:
- Include of coal bed methane
- Include Liquefied Natural gas
- Include Underground Coal Gasification
- Include Liquefied Petroleum Gas
- Include Piped Gas
- Include Compressed Natural Gas
- Include Integrated Gasification Combined Cycle
Key topics to be covered in the programme include:
- Gas in Africa: The Growing Importance of Gas in the African Energy Mix and accessing the African Gas Opportunity
- Gas to Power: The latest news including the South African Gas Industrialisation Strategy and the Opportunity attached
- Future trends and current opportunities in the Africa Gas market
- Financing Gas-to-Power Projects and Regional Gas Projects
- Challenges facing the African Gas market and case studies of successes
- The development of Regional / Interconnected Gas markets in Africa
- Infrastructure development requirements for the Gas to Power Programme (including pipelines and gas storage)
- The role of the Regulator